Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Peeking into my lunch bag

I pack a lunch 99% of the time during the work week. If I have nothing in the fridge or no time to cook up some chicken tenderloins before work, I'll go to Chop't and get a big ol' salad. Here's a look into my lunch bag.




Top left - Breakfast. Sometimes I'll pack it and take it with if I workout in the morning or am running late. Includes 3 whole eggs, 7 good size grape tomatoes, small onion, 5 baby zucchini chopped up, half a red pepper. Cooked in olive oil and topped with some basil and crushed red pepper flakes. Underneath are two strips of bacon. I usually have half an avocado this, but the EVOO it was cooked in is plenty for today.

Top right - Snacks. There are 6 baby zucchini in the bag (six were used in breakfast), a whole red pepper, small container of turkey breast (~2oz), and a vat of guacamole under the bag of peppers.

Bottom - Lunch - main course. Pork loin left over from dinner last night, and some brussels sprouts in balsamic vinegar with rosemary.

Bottom left - Lunch - appetizer. Salad. Contains about a cup of spinach, half a 'stalk' of romaine lettuce, a few grape tomatoes, maybe a 1/4c of sliced almonds, and about 1oz of turkey breast that was cooked up on Sunday.


Not pictured is my Nalgene bottle, a foil packet of tuna, and a bottle of olive oil that I keep at work. I try to drink at least 2 full bottles while at work, I keep the tuna just in case I'm hungry, and the EVOO is to add fat to anything I bring for lunch like a salad or veggies.

One thing I no longer keep in my drawer at work is a bag of almonds. It would not last a day or two. I'm trying to get away from constantly snacking, and it's too easy to do with almonds or other nuts.

9 comments:

Paige said...

This seemed more appropriate here than a fb status update :) But I'm kind of excited about tomorrow's menu: meals of curry chicken with cauliflower rice & snap peas, fajita chicken with peppers and onions & broccoli and cauliflower, and herb crusted chicken (veggie tbd). snacks: meat suace, hard boiled eggs, fresh veggies (carrots, cucumbers, and snap peas), and cantaloupe & blueberries. yum!

Myra said...

Paige, that sounds delicious. I was wondering if you get sorta tired of eating the same meat all day? I know there are so many ways to flavor/top off meat to make it taste different every time, but I also keep thinking I should get "variety" in my diet by switching up the meats.

Does it really matter nutrition-wise, Jen?

Paige said...

I do eat a lot of chicken, some beef. The last time I did the challenge there were tons of hamburgers and spaghetti squash with meatsauce, this time around there's been a lot of chicken. The lack of variety is mostly due to convenience, and I actually don't like seafood, so that's out for me. While I love to bake, I am not as comfortable cooking real food. I've tried a bunch of new chicken recipes this time around, getting more adventurous in the kitchen.

By the way, I just had my breakfast of chicken curry and it went really well with the cauliflower rice. I just grated the cauliflower and put it in a bowl in the fridge, then when I packed my lunch put a layer underneath the chicken and heated it all in the microwave this morning.

Jen said...

Paige - sounds almost good enough to eat in one sitting! Also, for the cauli-rice, do you just use a plain ol' cheese grater?

Myra - I'll work on a post about varitey in differnt types of protein.

Myra said...

Paige, forgive the dumbness of this question, but do you cook the cauliflower before or after you grate it? Do you grate just the florets, or down to the core?

Jen said...

More questions for Paige! What is it about seafood that you don't like? Is it anything in particular or just all fish?

Paige said...

Yay questions! :)

This was the first time I made the cauliflower rice, so it was kind of an experiment. I looked up some recipes online and there were some that said to grate before cooking, some to grate after. A lot of them recommended using a food processor, which I don't have. I used a cheese grater to grate it while it was raw, and then did not cook it until I heated it up with the chicken this morning. Chicken & rice is one of my favorite dishes, so it was nice to have something to go along with the chicken.

As for the seafood, it is the taste and texture of most types--I can occasionally do a mild salmon or tilapia (usually I've eaten with rice), but not a fan of pretty much anything else (including fish, shrimp, crab, lobster, scallops, etc.)

Paige said...

oh, and Myra, I grated as much as I could of the whole head before it was too hard on my fingers.

Myra said...

Paige I made the cauliflower rice this morning - raw cauliflower grated into a bowl of pulled-apart crockpot chicken already in the fridge, all nuked for a couple of minutes (and spinach added in for the last few seconds to help it wilt a bit. Add some EVOO and balsamic vinegar- and wow. It was SO filling, more filling than if I'd eaten the un-riced cauliflower florets and the chicken separately.Thanks!

Jen - the herb crusted pork loin is on next week's menu. I can't wait!