Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Have your bacon and eat it too.

But this doesn't mean you can go hog wild! (yaaa! puns!)

When was the last time you heard or read about grass fed pigs? I'm waiting...

Been awhile? Ever? Probably not. Pigs are.. well, pigs, and eat just about anything - corn and soy included. So if we're limiting (nixing) the corn and soy we eat, we should probably be wary of what our food is eating.

So if you gave up bacon for the challenge, you can start eating it again.

HOWEVER!

Use what you've learned these first few weeks about reading labels and being aware of what's in the food you eat. Bacon DOES include some sugar in the curing process, so there will be sugar listed in the ingredients and possibly on the nutrition label as well. The *best* bacon I've seen so far is by Applegate Farms. I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for the taste, but what draws me to it is the lack of sugar in the nutritional label, it's from antibiotic free pork, and it's free of nitrites and preservatives. So if you can't find something that doesn't include sugar, look for something that is uncured, free of hormones, free of nitrates/nitrites, and free of preservatives. You can still find something delicious to eat, but don't go crazy.

Enjoy that bacon wrapped chicken breast, bacon wrapped scallops, bacon and brussels sprouts, or bacon explosion



PS - I will be enjoying a bacon explosion post-challenge.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I did find some bacon made by Esskay that doesn't have sugar, but the package didn't say anything about not having nitrates which seemed a bit iffy so I didn't get it. I think I'm going to stay away from the bacon the rest of the challenge to keep it as that - a challenge.

Jen said...

I did a quick search on Esskay and it's cured with a bunch of sodium 'stuff' including Sodium Nitrite, so avoid. Again - uncured, free of nitrates/nitrites, antibiotics and preservatives.

And bacon at restaurants probably isn't top-tier quality, so use good judgement.

Myra said...

Just curious - bacon but not beef jerky...?

Jen said...

I've had jerky because I made my own in a dehydrator and used a dry rub of only spices - no soy sauce, no sugar. So in a way it IS allowed.

The reason I haven't made jerky again since week 2 and why it's still not 'allowed' (such as store bought jerky) is because we're trying to get away from having to snack, or graze, all day. Eat enough in 3 square meals and you should be good all day. Need something to snack on? Deli slices, little packets of tuna, cooked chicken or turkey works, too. Additionally, store brand, esp Trader Joe's jerky, has sugar and soy sauce, and in the Turkey Jerky added coloring. The sugar content in the Applegate Farms bacon (linked in the post) doesn't even register even though it's a minor ingredient. It might not be like that in other brands, which is why I want you to read your labels.

Give it some time and I might loosen the reigns. Other items might start being reintroduced, too. You've survived this long, so you can survive a little longer :D